Category of protection: Special forest vegetation reserve
Year proclaimed: 1949
Area: 101 ha
Location: Town of Rab (island of Rab)
Altitude: 0 – 80 m
The Dundo Forest can be listed among the most beautiful and well-preserved holm-oak forests of the Mediterranean. This area has probably the longest tradition in the protection and conservation of forests among the most deforested islands of the Adriatic. We hope this special reserve of forest vegetation will continue to be a site of study for many future generations of foresters and natural scientists, and a site where nature lovers can come to enjoy the primordial world of Mediterranean forests.
– holm oak / hrast crnika (Quercus ilex),
– manna ash or South European flowering ash / crni jasen (Fraxinus ornus),
– green olive tree or mock privet / zelenika (Phillyrea latifolia),
– tree heath / veliki vrijes (Erica arborea),
– mastic tree / tršlja (Pistacia lentiscus),
– strawberry tree / planika (Arbutus unedo),
.- common myrtle / mirta (Myrtus communis),
– laurustinus / lemprika (Viburnum tinus),
– spring sowbread / primorska ciklama (Cyclamen repandum),
– mediterranean smilax / povijuše – tetivika (Smilax aspera),
– rambling or evergreen Rose / vazdazelena ruža (Rosa sempervirens),
– wild asparagus / šparuga (Asparagus acutifolius)
– black bryony / bljušt (Tamus communis).
– the little owl / ćuk (Athene noctua),
– yellow-necked field mouse / šumski miš (Apodemus flavicollis)
The most common mushrooms are:
– jack-o’-lantern mushroom / zavodnica (Omphalotus olearius),
– Chanterelle mushroom/ lisičica (Cantharellus cibarius var.),
– krasnice i mliječnice (Russulaceae),
– boletus/ vrganjevke (Boletaceae).
It is located in the northwest of the island. Kalifront Peninsula is characterized by karst relief and coastline with many beautiful large and small bays. The length of the peninsula is 9 km. The width of the bay is 3 km.
The forests of the peninsula Kalifront are ideal for relaxing hiking. Hilly areas and trails are not strenuous, so the elderly can enjoy too. Kalifront Peninsula is famous for its holm oak that stands out in a beautiful forest Dundo. Dundo is one of the few surviving forests in the Mediterranean and the most important forest on the island of Rab. Holm oak (Quercus ilex) is an evergreen oak that can reach the age of a thousand years. A few impressive specimens are preserved in the forest.
Another green wonder of the island is Komrčar park, planted and designed by a forester Pravdoje Belija in 1883.